Once upon a time there was a young woman who left her corporate job and stayed home to raise three young children. As the youngest child went to kindergarten, she began to dream of a new career in art, but…
Her inner voice sounded a little something like this…
“What will my family think of me?”
“What if can’t sell my art?”
“What if I’m just a great big fraud and I end up making a complete fool of myself?!”
If you haven’t already guessed, that woman was me and I was suffering from Fear of Getting Started (FOGS). My FOGS has loosened its grip over the years but only because I learned how it can keep me from meeting my goals. As I created strategies, I was able to take baby steps forward. I was able to create a thriving art business by stepping in to my art career.
So if you are feeling the same way, just know that you are not alone. If you want to see all the ways that FOGS can present itself, read my blog at karenahuja.com/Fear of Getting Started.
The thing about FOGS…… you are able to OVERCOME it. The self imposed barriers that you place in front of yourself need to have a Mindset Reset. Use “red flags” ways that allow you to plan for positive change not stop you from moving forward.
Let’s take a look at some plans and processes to overcome FOGS.
- Get out of your head and into your heart. Your passion can drive your income streams! Yes! It can! When you are passionate about what you do, you will be willing to invest time and capital to obtain your business goals. Passion is a huge motivator during the hard times… And there will be hard times.
- Take action! Start with an entry plan. Business Projections are the key. They help you compare where you are to where you need to be financially to make the time and capital commitment to your business.. Momentum Artist Inner Circle reviews the Business Projection worksheet and walks through a real life example of a projection plan. For your Entry Plan into your Creative Business, this projection helps you determine if you can Jump In or you need to Step In.
- Stay in your lane! You can do this two ways: stop chasing shiny objects and stop comparing yourself to others. Identify your first two income streams that make the most sense for your business plan. We will address this in another Mindset Reset lesson.
- Embrace competition and acknowledge that there is enough room for everyone. (Because there is, and amazing things can happen when you do this!) Practice Gratitude.
- Acknowledge your credibility and success. Humility is important but don’t confuse it with FOGS.